Sunday, April 4, 2010

Not so together


I recently watched the ‘Ministry of Food’ television series starring Jamie Oliver he inspired me greatly, but it had nothing to do with the food.

For those who have not seen the show, British celebrity chef Jamie Oliver attempts to teach a borough how to cook. He begins with this incredible idea to recruit a dozen students who will pass his recipes on to two of their mates. He even has a nifty little animation to help us visualise how this will work. The problem is that it does not work. Not one to give up he tries a different tactic, he heads down to the local football stadium and does his best to recruit more men to become involved. This has some success, but no where near what he had hoped for. The show continues with him approaching big companies and holding grassroots street festivals. The entire town never really becomes converted, but he did get a whole lot of people cooking.

I understand it. I understand that feeling that you can see a way to fix a problem and a desire to show people how to fix it. I also understand the difficulties of breaking through, of helping people to see that there is a better way.

Maybe I am just completely wrong. Maybe the idea of parents becoming almost communal in their parenting is not really that important. Maybe I am the only mother becoming increasingly frustrated with the isolation. Maybe all the rest of the mothers are happy going about their business.

So far we have organised four days together, only three of which eventuated. So far it has only been myself and one other mum who actually make it. Problems arise, obstacles hinder us. I am trying to figure out why it seems more probable that an event will not go ahead. What is going wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment